Some Inspirations- ABC

Hi Folks

Alex here.

I get the sense that this blog hasn't been updated in a very long time, and I thought I'd bring it back, somewhat, by bringing in some images of ceramic art that's been inspiring me lately.

This is some work by a friend of a friend:
Michelle Summers is Portland, Oregon ceramicist. I love the subtle combination of glazing and incised surfaces. You might also like to check out her blog, which has some great images of her work and the work of others.

An artist who inspired me a lot when I was working only as a hand-builder is Beth Cavener Stichter. Her work is often monumental, both gestural and careful.

This brings me to one of my mentors, John Byrd. When he was my professor, I was just beginning to get acquainted with clay. His combination of clay and non-clay materials is challenging, unusual, and masterful.

A great many other artists working in clay inform the work that I do. I plan on listing other such artists in the future. I would invite other BCA Clay Studio folks to post links and images for the artists and other inspirations they have for making work in clay.